Privacy and Softening, East Tamaki Heights
Create a low-maintenance, no-lawn, irrigated garden that blocks out unwanted views and provides privacy from the neighbours.
- Provide privacy from two-storey houses close by
- Screen and soften expansive areas of paving, keystone walls and fencing
- Clay soil
- Plants chosen to be fast-growing and achieve height for screening, for example bungalow palms and bamboo
- Attractive plants were chosen for the foreground to detract from unattractive walls, for example ligularia, cycads and iresine. The plant spacing was close enough to create a softening effect with enough space to emphasize their distinctive forms.
- Gypsum was worked into the clay soil and supplemented by a generous amount of garden mix.